Saturday, February 9, 2013

Oatmeal Love

Breakfast is my most favorite meal of the day!  When I have a delicious breakfast, I know my day will be great because it has already started out so well.  Lately, I have been enjoying yogurt bowls, waffles, buckwheat bakes, and oatmeal.  Oatmeal is probably the thing I eat the most for breakfast.  It is such an easy breakfast to prep the night before so all I have to do in the morning is heat it up and it's ready to go.  Here are some other things I love about oats:

  1. They are heart healthy and can reduce cholesterol.
  2. Oats contain nutrients like vitamin E, zinc, selenium, copper, iron, manganese, and magnesium (source).
  3. Oats have both soluble and insoluble fiber and are rich in protein.
  4. Oats are a great source of healthy carbs.
  5. Oats can be enjoyed hot, cold, in baked goods, in smoothies, or as granola.
  6. They are a blank slate and can take on whatever flavor you want.  

Reason number 6 is probably the reason I love oats the most.  I can eat oats every single day and never get bored just by changing up the ingredients I add to my oatmeal bowls.  Usually I'm in the mood for sweet oats so I usually add fruits.  Some days I'll add just a banana and soy yogurt.  Other days I'll add strawberries and soy yogurt.  Almond butter and banana is another favorite combination!

On the rare occasion, I am more in the mood for savory oatmeal.  On these days I'll add zucchini or carrots (with lots of cinnamon! I still need some sweetness!).  Sometimes I'll add veggies as an easy way to get a serving of veggies first thing in the morning. Spinach or kale with a banana is a delicious combination for a "Green Monster Oatmeal" or adding a teaspoon of spirulina is an easy way to get tons of nutrients when you are in a rush in the morning and don't have time to shred your veggies.


Today, I thought I would share my most recent favorite breakfasts:

Banana Yogurt Oatmeal
I know I have already shared this, but it was so good I have made it multiple times since I first posted the recipe.


Peanut Butter Apple Oatmeal
This is very similar to my PBJ Apple Oats but without the jam and I topped it with tons of cinnamon!


Banana Nut Oatmeal
This is another favorite, but more time consuming with all the nuts.  This oatmeal bowl includes a banana, 1/2 tbsp peanut butter, 1/2 tbsp walnuts, 1/2 tbsp pumpkin seeds, and cinnamon.


Peanut Butter Chocolate Oatmeal
 This is not the prettiest picture, but it tastes fantastic!  This oatmeal bowl includes, 1/2 banana, 1 tbsp cocoa powder, 1 tbsp PB & Co. Dark Chocolate Dreams Peanut Butter, 1 tbsp crushed peanuts.


PBJ Buckwheat Porridge
For this breakfast I soaked buckwheat groats with chia seeds overnight.  The next morning I blended them with almond milk then stirred in some peanut butter and jelly.  I think I even add 1/2 banana (slightly mashed).


Pumpkin Buckwheat Bake
This has been another favorite recently.  It is like eating a healthy and tasty cake for breakfast!  I love how easy it is to make, how filling it is, and the amount of protein!  I am always hesitant with bakes like this that are microwaveable because I have had many fails trying to keep them vegan without eggs, which most recipes call for, but this recipe worked wonderfully.  I followed the exact recipe from Lisa Lately, including the peanut frosting.  I have even tried the banana version in place of the pumpkin and it tasted just as good!


Pumpkin Buckwheat Bake with Banana Yogurt
I made the same buckwheat bake from above except topped this bake with soy yogurt, banana, and lots of cinnamon!


Banana Almond Yogurt Bowl
Sometimes when I am in the mood for a lighter breakfast, I add different ingredients to soy or almond yogurt.  This bowl was Amande Yogurt mixed with vanilla protein powder, 1/2 sliced banana, crushed almonds, and cinnamon.


Peanut Butter Banana Walnut Yogurt
Soy yogurt (Wholesoy brand) mixed with peanut flour, sliced banana, and walnuts.  (I added cinnamon after taking the picture this time).


Chocolate Zucchini Muffin Peanut Butter Banana Yogurt
Another thing I love adding to yogurt bowls is crumbled muffins!  I always keep some frozen in my freezer, thaw or reheat it, then crumble it in to yogurt for a tasty breakfast or snack.  This yogurt bowl was mixed with peanut flour, sliced banana, Chocolate Zucchini Muffin, and almond butter granola (recipe from Peanut Butter Fingers).


Banana Chia Spirulina Yogurt
Soy yogurt blended with 1 banana, 1 tbsp chia seeds, and some almond milk.  I set it in the fridge overnight so it would thicken.


Green PB Banana Smoothie in a Bowl
Almond milk blended with soy yogurt, 1 tbsp peanut butter, banana, and 1 tsp spirulina topped with crushed peanuts!  I love thick smoothies and eating them out of a bowl!



After writing about all these breakfasts, I have noticed that I eat a ton of bananas, peanut butter/almond butter, and cinnamon in almost all my breakfast.  I love how creamy the bananas make almost every breakfast and add natural sweetness.  I love adding peanut butter/almond butter to make breakfast for some healthy fats, and I just love cinnamon in almost everything (except savory meals haha).

Also, even though I sometimes add spirulina, if you can't tell I am definitely a sweet breakfast girl!  Maybe sometime I will share my most common lunches and dinners!

*****

Well it is time to go enjoy the rest of my Saturday.  I already worked out this morning and did some data work.  I'm going to do a little more work before I go out and enjoy my Saturday evening catching up with my friend Jenna!


Happy Saturday!



No comments:

Post a Comment