Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year

Happy New Year!

I cannot believe it is the year 2013!  I hope it is a great year.  So far my morning has started out great.  I woke up with a hot cup of coffee  then enjoyed this waffle that I had leftover from earlier in the week.  I love having breakfast already made!

This was a waffle I made out of oatmeal flour and peanut flour.  Then I topped it with soy yogurt mixed with almond butter.  YUM!

*****
After breakfast, I caught up on some blog reading and TV shows.  Then I headed to a New Year's Day afternoon Jazzercise class, which was a blast.  When I got home I enjoyed this delicious green smoothie:

In the mix: Almond milk, kale, banana, pineapple, orange

I then spent the rest of the day, the last day of winter break (NO!!!), relaxing and preparing some foods for breakfast and lunch for the rest of the week to be ready.  Later on I enjoyed this delicious dinner:

Brown rice mixed with chickpeas, peas, flaxseeds, mixed in Sage Gravy

This was really good. I'll have to make this for an easy packable lunch next week.  I would have made more tonight, but I already had packed tons of meals for the rest of this week and don't want those to spoil and go to waste.

*****

Now, let's talk New Year's Resolutions.  I do not like to make resolutions just at one time of the year.  There are 365 days in a year.  That is a lot of time to grow and change from the beginning of the year to the end of the year.  Instead, I like to make monthly goals on how I can make myself a better person.

My January Goals include:
  1. Eat more healthy.  I am already a very healthy eater, but I would like to eat more clean at home.  When I say eat clean, I mean eat more veggies and fruits and grains and less unprocessed foods.  I actually already pretty much do this, which is why I say eat clean at home.  Even though I barely eat unprocessed foods, when I am home it is much easier to make real food and I should take advantage of this more often.  Outside of the house though, sometimes it is easiest to pack bars and snacks that are already packaged.  However, just because I need something easy, I still want to pack healthy snacks.
  2. Gain more muscle mass.  I have been personal training and my goal is to increase my strength and gain healthy muscle weight.  Even though I have gained some, this past month I have trained less than usual due to vacations and the holidays, causing me to only maintain.  I am hoping that by getting back into a regular routine, I will have gained more muscle mass by the end of the month.
  3. Drink a smoothie a day.  This goes along with both eating more healthy and gaining more muscle mass.  I am hoping to improve both those goals by incorporating a daily smoothie, and if I drink a protein shake that counts as that day's smoothie.  I always say I am going to do this, but it is hard when I am cold and just want a warm beverage.  This might be an easier goal in the summer but we will see how it goes.  I'll try drinking them after workouts or in the middle of the day to help with this goal.
  4. Cook 3 entrees and 5 treats.  With work, I am going to be more busy than I was a few months ago, so I will have less free time to cook, but I would still like to take some time throughout the month to try to make at least 3 entrees and 5 treats.  Hopefully, since I don't have grad school until the end of the month, I can reach this goal.
  5. Be more social.  I feel like I have been so busy with school and work lately that I have not been reaching out to friends as much as I should.  Once again since grad school classes don't start until the end of the month, this is the perfect opportunity to catch up with friends.
That's it for now.  I'll re-look at these goals at the end of the month and see how I did and what I can continue to improve on.
*****
I'm off to enjoy the remainder of my evening before its back to the grind early tomorrow morning.  Winter Break went so fast but thankfully it's a short work week; it will definitely help the back to work transition be much easier.


Happy Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment