Friday, December 28, 2012

Christmas Day Eats Recap

Even though we made tons of food on Christmas Eve, we also made several more dishes on Christmas day. I'm all for a variety of food and have plenty of leftovers to enjoy throughout the week.  I love having food already prepared that just needs to be reheated for quick meals :)

On the menu:

Tofurkey: Store-bought from Trader Joe's.  It contains wheat though so I did not eat this.  My mom said she enjoyed this one more than the Tofurkey Vegetarian Feast one she had for Thanksgiving.


Baked Beans and Greens: I think this was my favorite (I say "think" because I really enjoyed all the dishes but this is the one I went back for the most).  Over the last three days I have eaten this for leftovers.  I've probably eaten half the dish myself.  I'm definitely going to have to make this again to enjoy for dinner throughout other weeks.


To make this I used red beans and extra kale.  I omitted the bread crumbs and used Vegan grated parmesan cheese.


Maple Walnut Brussels Sprouts:  I got this recipe out of Parade Magazine.  I doubled this recipe over Thanksgiving and everyone loved it, so I quadrupled the recipe this time.  It doesn't hurt to have extras :-p 

To make this vegan I used agave instead of honey.  I also omitted the chile seasoning and instead of deep-frying them in all the oil from the original recipe, I sauteed the Brussels sprouts for about 8 minutes until they were browned on the edges.  This is definitely a much healthier alternative.  Also, when I made these for Thanksgiving I prepared them the night before and I think the flavors had more time to marinate into the Brussels sprouts giving them more flavor.  I highly recommend preparing these the night before.

Dark Chocolate Avocado Mousse:  This is my favorite dessert, I actually make it quite often.  If you love rich, creamy dark chocolate you will love this dessert too!  The avocado helps make it extra creamy and adds healthy fats.


Dark Chocolate Avocado Mousse:
  • 2 avocados
  • 1/2 cup dark cocoa powder (or regular)
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup almond milk
Combine all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth.  Spoon into 4 dessert glasses and refrigerate until ready to serve.  The longer it stands in the fridge the thicker the pudding.

*****

I'm craving this dessert now and wish I had some avocados.  Hmm maybe a grocery store trip will be happening shortly...


Have a great Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment